The best year for the ford escape was 2013 while the worst year was 2020. The 2013 ford escape was well-received for its improved fuel economy, spacious interior, sleek design, and advanced safety features.
However, the 2020 ford escape received criticism for its poor reliability, underwhelming engine performance, and lack of cargo space compared to its competitors. Despite its flaws, the ford escape remains a popular choice among compact suvs due to its comfortable ride, user-friendly technology, and attractive pricing.
In this article, we will delve deeper into the ford escape’s history, exploring its best and worst years, and why it is still a viable option in today’s suv market.
Best Years For The Ford Escape
The ford escape has been around for almost two decades, and during that time, a few model years have stood out from the rest as the best. If you’re in the market for a used escape, it’s important to know which model years are worth considering.
We’ll dive into the best years for the ford escape, focusing on specific features and qualities that make them stand out.
2009-2012: Mechanics And Driving Experience
If you’re looking for a ford escape that delivers a smooth ride and reliable performance, the 2009-2012 model years are definitely worth considering. Here are some key points to keep in mind:
- The 2009-2012 escapes have a comfortable and smooth ride, thanks to a well-tuned suspension system.
- These model years also come with a 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine that delivers decent power and fuel efficiency.
- The transmission shifts smoothly and is responsive to driver input.
- Ford’s intelligent 4wd system is available on these models, providing improved traction and stability on slippery roads.
- Overall, the 2009-2012 ford escapes are a great choice for those who value a comfortable ride and reliable performance.
2017-2019: Safety Features And Fuel Efficiency
If you’re more concerned about safety and fuel efficiency than performance, the 2017-2019 ford escapes are a solid choice. Here’s what you need to know:
- These model years come with several advanced safety features, including blind-spot monitoring, lane departure warning, and adaptive cruise control.
- The 2017-2019 escapes also have excellent fuel economy, with the base engine delivering up to 30 mpg on the highway.
- The ecoboost engines available on these models provide even better fuel efficiency, without sacrificing power.
- The cabin of the 2017-2019 escapes is spacious and comfortable, with plenty of cargo space for all your gear.
- Overall, if you’re looking for a reliable and safe vehicle that will save you money at the gas pump, the 2017-2019 ford escapes are a great choice.
The ford escape has had some standout model years over the past two decades. Whether you’re looking for reliable performance or advanced safety features, there’s a ford escape out there that will meet your needs. Just remember to do your research and choose a model year that fits your lifestyle and budget.
Worst Years For The Ford Escape
The ford escape has been a popular suv since its debut in 2001. Over the years, it has gone through numerous changes in design and features, offering an excellent driving experience to its customers. However, there have been some problematic years where ford has faced criticism for its suv.
In this post, we will take a closer look at the worst years for the ford escape, highlighting some specific issues that have tarnished its reputation.
2001-2003: Safety Issues And Recalls
During its initial years, the ford escape faced some severe safety concerns and recalls, making it an undesirable option for many buyers. Some of the problems that arose during this time frame include:
- A tendency for the accelerator pedal to get stuck in the down position.
- The brake pedal getting stuck due to faulty brake parts.
- Issues with the air conditioning system leading to poor performance and various faults in the system.
- Numerous recalls due to engine fires caused by a leaking brake cylinder.
The number of recalls related to the ford escape during this time frame significantly affected its reputation and reliability.
2013-2016: Transmission Problems And Engine Glitches
In the more recent past, the ford escape once again faced significant problems from 2013 to 2016. Some of the significant issues buyers encountered include:
- A problematic dual-clutch six-speed transmission system that caused severe shifting issues and problems with acceleration.
- Engine stalling issues that required significant repairs and replacements.
- Electrical faults leading to sudden shutdowns and glitches in various features.
- Problems with the turbo boost system leading to a lack of power and an overall lackluster performance.
The transmission problems and engine glitches associated with this period made ford face severe criticism, leading to a decline in sales and reliability ratings.
While the ford escape is a highly desirable suv, several problematic years have marred its reputation. The issues in 2001-2003 related to safety concerns and 2013-2016 related to transmission problems and engine glitches have made the ford escape a less reliable option for many buyers.
It’s crucial to be aware of these problems while considering purchasing a ford escape and opting for a reliable model.
Factors To Consider
When it comes to choosing the best year for a ford escape, there are several important factors to consider before making a final decision. Here are the key considerations to keep in mind when searching for the right ford escape vehicle:
Reliability And Durability
The reliability and durability of a vehicle are critical considerations when making a purchase. Fortunately, the ford escape is one of the most dependable compact suvs on the market. Here are some key points to consider when looking at the vehicle’s reliability and durability:
- The 2013 model year was the worst year for the ford escape in terms of recalls and repairs.
- The 2017 model year has the best reliability rating, according to j.d. Power.
- The 2020 model year earned an excellent rating for quality, based on j.d. Power reviews.
Performance And Driving Experience
The ford escape is a reliable and efficient crossover suv ideal for commuting, errands, and road trips. Here are some performance-related factors to consider when selecting the best ford escape year:
- The best option for a more engaging driving experience is the 2.0l ecoboost model, which offers 245 horsepower.
- The 2016 ford escape was awarded the best compact suv for the money by u.s. news & world report.
- The 2020 ford escape is available as a hybrid or plug-in hybrid for those who prioritize fuel efficiency.
The ford escape offers excellent fuel efficiency, with several models available as either hybrid or plug-in hybrid versions. Here are some points to keep in mind when reviewing and comparing ford escape fuel efficiency:
- The most fuel-efficient model is the ford escape hybrid, which can achieve an impressive 44 mpg in the city.
- The plug-in hybrid model of the 2020 ford escape can go up to 37 miles on electric power alone.
- The ford escape engine options range from the s trim’s 1.5l ecoboost engine to the se sport hybrid’s 2.5l ivct atkinson-cycle i-4 engine.
Safety Ratings And Features
Safety is a primary concern for any vehicle, and the ford escape delivers on this front. Here are some crucial points to keep in mind when you consider the vehicle’s safety features:
- The national highway traffic safety administration (nhtsa) gave the 2018-2021 ford escapes a five-star overall safety rating.
- The ford co-pilot 360 driver assistance package comes with several safety features, including adaptive cruise control, lane keeping assist, and automatic emergency braking.
- The 2020-2021 ford escape models earned iihs top safety pick awards for good crash-test ratings and excellent headlight scores.
Technology And Upgrades
The ford escape has several advanced features unique to each model year. Here are some points to consider when reviewing the technology and upgrades of each ford escape:
- The 2017 ford escape offers an optional sync 3 infotainment system with an eight-inch touchscreen, a premium audio system, and apple carplay/android auto compatibility.
- The 2020 model year has a new and updated infotainment system with a 12.3-inch digital gauge display.
- The 2016 model year introduced several driver-assist features such as parking assist, blind-spot monitoring, and rear cross-traffic alert systems.
As you consider each factor, remember to take into account your lifestyle, budget, and specific needs when choosing the best ford escape year to suit you.
Frequently Asked Questions Of Best And Worst Years For The Ford Escape
What Are The Best Model Years For Ford Escape?
Some consider the 2013 and 2014 models to be the best due to their reliability and safety features.
Is The Ford Escape A Reliable Car?
Yes, the ford escape has a reputation for being a reliable car, but it also depends on the specific model year.
What Are The Worst Model Years For Ford Escape?
The 2005 and 2006 models are often considered the worst due to several transmission-related issues.
How Long Do Ford Escapes Usually Last?
With proper maintenance, a ford escape can last up to 200,000 miles or more.
Are There Any Recalls On The Ford Escape?
Yes, there have been several recalls on various model years of the ford escape, mostly related to safety concerns.
What Is The Average Cost Of A Ford Escape?
The average cost of a ford escape varies based on the year and condition, but it typically ranges from $10,000 to $25,000.
Does The Ford Escape Hold Its Value Well?
Overall, the ford escape holds its value fairly well due to its reliability and popularity among consumers.
Overall, the ford escape has had its ups and downs throughout the years, with some models being praised for their reliability and others facing numerous mechanical issues. Based on consumer reviews and expert evaluations, the best years for the ford escape seem to be the 2013, 2014, and 2015 models, which offered better handling, fuel efficiency, and a more spacious interior compared to previous models.
On the other hand, the worst years for the ford escape were the 2001, 2005, and 2012 models, which had significant problems with their engines, transmissions, and electrical systems. However, regardless of its best and worst years, the ford escape remains a popular choice for drivers who prioritize a compact and versatile suv that is ideal for commuting, road trips, and off-road adventures.
With this information in mind, it’s crucial for potential buyers to do their research and choose the right model year that fits their needs and budget.