The best year for the ford explorer was 2020, while the worst was 2002. the ford explorer is a well-known suv and has been a popular choice among car enthusiasts since its launch in 1990. However, not all years of production were created equal.
The ford explorer witnessed a lot of ups and downs, ranging from changes in the exterior design to its performance. As with any vehicle, some years were better than others. In this article, we will explore the best and the worst years for the ford explorer and the reasons why.
We will also delve into the unique specifications that made a particular year stand out from the rest. So, without further ado, let’s get into it.
Factors To Consider When Ranking
Best And Worst Years For The Ford Explorer: Factors To Consider When Ranking
The ford explorer has been one of the most popular midsize suvs on the market since it was first introduced in 1990. As with any vehicle, some model years are better than others. This section will take a closer look at the factors to consider when ranking the best and worst years for the ford explorer.
Safety Features And Ratings
Safety should always be a top priority when purchasing a new vehicle. Here are the key safety features and ratings to consider when ranking the best and worst years for the ford explorer:
- Advanced airbag systems
- Antilock brakes
- Stability control
- Traction control
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Forward-collision warning
- Lane departure warning
- Nhtsa safety rating
Reliability And Durability
Reliability and durability play a significant role in determining the overall value of a vehicle. Here are the key factors to consider when ranking the best and worst years for the ford explorer:
- Transmission issues
- Engine problems
- Axle and suspension issues
- Brake problems
- Electrical problems
- Rust issues
- Recall history
Performance And Driving Experience
Performance and driving experience are crucial factors to consider when ranking the best and worst years for the ford explorer. Here are the key points to keep in mind:
- Engine options and power
- Fuel economy
- Smooth ride and handling
- Off-road capabilities
- Towing capacity
- Transmission options
Interior And Exterior Design
The design of a vehicle can be a deciding factor for many buyers. Here are the key design factors to consider when ranking the best and worst years for the ford explorer:
- Spacious and comfortable seating
- Cargo space
- Infotainment system
- Material quality
- Exterior styling
Overall Value For Money
Lastly, the overall value for money is an important factor when ranking the best and worst years for the ford explorer. Here are the key points to consider:
- Msrp and resale value
- Standard and optional features
- Insurance costs
- Fuel and maintenance costs
By considering the safety features and ratings, reliability and durability, performance and driving experience, interior and exterior design, and overall value for money, you can determine the best and worst years for the ford explorer. Remember, the key is to choose a model year that meets your specific needs and budget.
Ranking The Best Years
Evaluation Of Top-Performing Years
The ford explorer has been around since 1991, and it has seen a lot of ups and downs throughout the years. When ranking the best years for the ford explorer, we considered several key factors such as safety, reliability, performance, design, and value.
Based on our research, we have come up with these top-performing years for the ford explorer.
Top Years Based On Overall Performance
- 2002: The 2002 ford explorer comes with a v8 engine, which gives it excellent power and an impressive towing capacity of up to 7,300 pounds. It also offers comfortable seating for five and a range of features, such as a cd player and power windows.
- 2011: The 2011 ford explorer is an all-new model with a sleek and modern design. It comes with a v6 engine that provides great acceleration and decent fuel economy. It also has a spacious and comfortable cabin with innovative technology features like myford touch.
Best Years Based On Customer Reviews And Ratings
- 2016: The 2016 ford explorer receives high ratings from customers for its smooth and comfortable ride, roomy interior, and good fuel economy. It also offers excellent safety features, such as a rearview camera and blind-spot monitoring.
- 2019: The 2019 ford explorer ranks well among customers for its powerful engine options, advanced safety features, and spacious cabin. It also boasts a user-friendly infotainment system and a smooth ride.
Ranking Based On Key Ranking Factors
- Safety: The 2019 and 2020 ford explorers received high marks from the national highway traffic safety administration (nhtsa) and the insurance institute for highway safety (iihs) for their safety features.
- Reliability: According to j.d. Power’s 2020 u.s. Vehicle dependability study, the 2017 ford explorer is the most dependable model year.
- Performance: The 2018 ford explorer sport, with a 365-horsepower twin-turbocharged v6 engine, is known for its excellent performance.
- Design: The 2011 ford explorer’s redesign made it more modern-looking, while the 2020 model offers a more refined and upscale appearance.
- Value: The 2015 ford explorer was ranked as the best value for its price by u.s. news & world report.
When it comes to the best years for the ford explorer, it ultimately comes down to personal preference and specific needs. However, these top-performing years reflect the model’s strengths and unique features.
Ranking The Worst Years
Best and worst years for the ford explorer: ranking the worst years
The ford explorer has been a popular suv for decades, but not every model year has been a success. In this section, we’ll examine the worst years for the ford explorer based on various factors, including overall performance and customer reviews.
We’ll also rank these years based on key factors such as safety, reliability, performance, design, and value.
Evaluation Of Underperforming Years
Before we delve into the specifics, it’s worth noting that the ford explorer has had some pretty significant issues throughout its history. In particular, some model years were plagued by recalls and defects that had a negative impact on their overall performance and reputation.
Here are some of the underperforming years:
- 2002: A significant number of engine and transmission issues, including many reports of complete engine failure.
- 2004: Many reports of transmission failure, as well as issues with the electrical system and powertrain.
- 2011: A number of recalls, including one for a potential wheel separation issue that could result in a crash.
- 2016: Numerous complaints about the transmission, as well as issues with the engine and electrical system.
Worst Years Based On Overall Performance
While all of the underperforming years have had their fair share of issues, there are particular years that stand out for their overall lack of performance. Here are the worst years for the ford explorer based on performance:
- 2002: Significant engine and transmission issues led to a widespread lack of trust in this model year.
- 2006: Numerous reports of transmission failure, as well as issues with the electrical system and fuel system.
- 2011: Despite being one of the most recent model years on this list, the 2011 ford explorer suffered from a number of recalls and technical issues that impacted its performance.
Worst Years Based On Customer Reviews And Ratings
In addition to considering technical issues, it’s also worth taking a look at customer reviews and ratings to get a sense of which model years were least popular. Here are the worst years for the ford explorer based on customer feedback:
- 2002: Once again, the 2002 model year stands out as the least popular based on customer reviews. Many drivers reported engine and transmission problems, as well as issues with the vehicle’s reliability.
- 2006: The 2006 ford explorer also received poor customer ratings, with numerous complaints about transmission and electrical problems.
- 2011: At this point, it’s clear that the 2011 ford explorer was a bit of a miss for many customers. In addition to the recalls mentioned earlier, a number of drivers reported problems with its handling and build quality.
Ranking Based On Key Ranking Factors
Finally, let’s take a look at how these years stack up when we consider safety, reliability, performance, design, and value. Here are the rankings:
- 2010: While it wasn’t a particularly popular model year, the 2010 explorer scored well in terms of safety, reliability, and value.
- 2008: Another year that didn’t get a lot of attention, the 2008 explorer rated well for safety and reliability.
- 2019: The most recent year on this list, the 2019 ford explorer was praised for its performance, design, and safety features.
- 2013: This model year was also well-rated for its safety and reliability.
- 2010: Despite its performance issues, the 2002 ford explorer scored well for value and design.
Although the ford explorer has had some ups and downs over the years, these rankings should help you identify the best and worst years for this popular suv. Keep these rankings in mind if you’re considering purchasing a used ford explorer, and consider opting for one of the models that scored well in terms of safety and reliability.
Future Of The Ford Explorer
Best and worst years for the ford explorer – future of the ford explorer
The ford explorer is a popular suv in the market, and it has gone through several changes throughout the years. While some years have been better than others, the ford explorer is still a reliable vehicle for many buyers. In this section, we will look at the future of the ford explorer, including current trends, expectations for future models, and recommendations for buyers.
Current Trends In The Suv Market
The suv market is highly competitive, and automakers are continually striving to meet the demands of consumers. The current trends in the suv market include:
- Increased demand for hybrid and electric suvs
- Improved safety features, including advanced driver assistance systems (adas)
- Higher fuel efficiency
- More significant emphasis on technology, including infotainment systems and connected services
Expectations For Future Models
The ford explorer has already undergone significant changes to meet the latest market trends, and we can expect these changes to continue in future models. Here are some expectations for future ford explorer models:
- More hybrid and electric options to cater to the increasing demand for eco-friendly vehicles
- Continued improvement in safety features, especially adas
- More advanced infotainment systems and connected services
- Better fuel efficiency through the use of lightweight materials and advanced engine technology
Recommendations For Buyers Considering The Ford Explorer
If you are considering purchasing a ford explorer, there are a few things you should keep in mind:
- Research different models and trim levels to find one that meets your needs and budget
- Test drive the suv to get a feel for how it handles and drives
- Consider the fuel efficiency and whether you want a hybrid or electric option
- Look into the safety features available on different models and trim levels
- Check the reliability and dependability ratings for the ford explorer
Overall, the ford explorer is a reliable, versatile, and popular suv that is constantly improving to meet market trends and consumer demands. With the right research and consideration, you can find the perfect ford explorer for your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions For Best And Worst Years For The Ford Explorer
What Are Common Problems With The Ford Explorer?
The most common problems with the ford explorer are transmission issues and electrical problems.
Which Years Of The Ford Explorer Are The Best?
The best years for the ford explorer are 2011, 2013, and 2016 due to their reliability and safety ratings.
What Is The Average Lifespan Of A Ford Explorer?
The average lifespan of a ford explorer is around 200,000 miles, but proper maintenance can prolong its life.
Is The Ford Explorer A Reliable Car?
The ford explorer is generally considered to be a reliable car, especially in newer models.
Which Years Of The Ford Explorer Should Be Avoided?
The worst years for the ford explorer are 2002, 2003, and 2010 due to their high instance of mechanical and safety issues.
What Is The Fuel Economy Of A Ford Explorer?
The fuel economy of a ford explorer varies by year and model, but typically ranges from 15-20 mpg in city driving and 20-27 mpg on the highway.
Which Is Better: The Ford Explorer Or The Chevy Traverse?
Both vehicles have their strengths and weaknesses, but the ford explorer is generally considered to be the better choice for its safety ratings and towing capacity.
After exploring the best and worst years for the ford explorer, it’s clear that there have been ups and downs for this vehicle. The early 2000s were rocky years for the explorer, with recalls and safety concerns, while the mid-2010s saw strong sales and positive reviews.
Whether you’re looking for a reliable family car or a rugged off-road vehicle, the explorer has had its share of successes and failures. However, with recent improvements to technology and safety features, the explorer has potential to continue performing well in the years to come.
As always, it’s important to do your research and choose a model year that fits your specific needs and preferences. Overall, the ford explorer has been a popular and influential vehicle in the suv market, leaving its mark throughout its production history.