The best year for the mazda cx-9 is the 2019 model year while the worst year is the 2010 model year. The 2019 model boasts a sleek new design and improved handling, while the 2010 model has been reported to have transmission issues and other mechanical problems.
The mazda cx-9 is a mid-size suv that offers a comfortable ride and spacious interior. As with any vehicle, certain model years may be better than others based on various factors such as reliability, design, and performance. In this article, we will explore the best and worst years for the mazda cx-9 and highlight the features that make them stand out.
Whether you are in the market for a new or used mazda cx-9, our comprehensive guide will help you make an informed decision.
Understanding The Mazda Cx-9 And Its Evolution
Mazda cx-9 boasts of a stunning design, powerful engine, and advanced technology, making it a popular choice among car enthusiasts. This car has undergone a series of upgrades since it first hit the market in 2007. In this blog post, we will take a closer look at the best and worst years for the mazda cx-9, but before that, let’s understand the car’s evolution.
Overview Of The Evolution Of The Mazda Cx-9
The mazda cx-9 has undergone three generations of changes since it was first introduced in the market. Here’s a brief summary of each generation:
- First gen (2007-2015): The first generation of mazda cx-9 had a 3.5l v6 engine and offered impressive handling. However, it lacked fuel economy and the latest safety features.
- Second gen (2016-2021): The second generation of the mazda cx-9 saw a significant overhaul with the inclusion of advanced safety features, a more fuel-efficient engine, and improved handling. It featured a 2.5l turbocharged engine and a six-speed automatic transmission as standard.
- Third gen (2022-present): The latest generation mazda cx-9 comes with a redesigned front grille, a turbocharged 2.5l engine with a dynamic pressure turbo, and a host of advanced features such as apple carplay and android auto. It also features the latest safety features, making it one of the safest cars on the market.
Key Features And Upgrades Over The Years
Over the years, the mazda cx-9 has undergone several changes, including major cosmetic and mechanical upgrades. Here are some of the key features and upgrades:
- Body style: Over the years, the cx-9 received several facelifts and redesigns, making it more aerodynamic and stylish.
- Engine: The cx-9 started with a 3.5-liter v-6 engine, which was later redesigned to a turbocharged 2.5-liter engine. The new engine offered better fuel economy and performance.
- Transmission: The cx-9 started with a six-speed automatic transmission, and in the second generation, mazda introduced a six-speed manual option. However, this option was later discontinued.
- Safety features: The first generation cx-9 lacked advanced safety features. The second and third generations, however, include advanced driver assistance features, such as blindspot monitoring, lane departure warning, and automatic emergency braking.
- Infotainment system: The first generation cx-9 came with a basic infotainment system with limited features. The third generation features an intuitive infotainment system with apple carplay and android auto integration.
The mazda cx-9 has undergone significant changes over the years, making each generation more advanced and safer than the previous one. It’s important to consider these changes when selecting a model year to purchase.
Best Years For The Mazda Cx-9
What Makes A “Best” Year For The Mazda Cx-9
When considering the “best” year for the mazda cx-9, several factors come into play. Here are some of the key features to consider:
- Year of manufacture: The newer the model, the better the features and technology it offers.
- Reliability: A car that’s durable and requires less maintenance is always preferable.
- Satisfaction: Vehicles with high customer satisfaction ratings are considered the best.
Detailed Analysis Of Mazda Cx-9’S Best Years
Mazda cx-9 has been one of the best-selling suvs since its release in 2006. Here we look at some of the best model years of the cx-9.
2014 Mazda Cx-9
The 2014 mazda cx-9 is a great choice for those who need a big family suv with a lot of features. It comes with a powerful engine and smooth handling, providing a comfortable ride. Here are some key features that make it one of the best cx-9 model years:
- Superior fuel efficiency compared to previous models
- Stylish and user-friendly interior
- Excellent safety and reliability ratings
- Ample cabin space and cargo room
2016 Mazda Cx-9
The 2016 mazda cx-9 is a luxurious, mid-sized suv with excellent handling and control, providing effortless driving on city streets or highways. Here are some key features that make it one of the best cx-9 model years:
- Ultra-modern and luxurious interior
- Excellent fuel economy
- Spacious with ample headroom and legroom in all three rows
- Advanced safety features and excellent crash test scores
2018 Mazda Cx-9
The 2018 mazda cx-9 ranks among the best suvs for its class-leading standard driver assistance features and upscale cabin. Here are some key features that make it one of the best cx-9 model years:
- Upscale and high-quality cabin design
- Refined and smooth ride quality
- Ample space and comfort for all passengers, including third-row seating
- Standard driver assistance technology
Road Performance And Safety Ratings Of The Top Performers
The mazda cx-9 has received outstanding reviews for its excellent handling, comfortable ride, and efficient fuel economy, making it one of the best suvs on the market. Here are some safety ratings and road performance factors to consider:
- Strong safety ratings: The cx-9 has a five-star overall safety rating from the national highway traffic safety administration (nhtsa) and an overall rating of “good” from the insurance institute for highway safety (iihs).
- Responsive and dynamic drivetrain: The cx-9 has a powerful turbocharged four-cylinder engine and smooth-shifting six-speed automatic transmission, providing excellent acceleration and quick shifting performance.
- Precise handling and stability: The cx-9 has precise and agile handling, making it easy to take corners and maneuver in tight spaces.
- Standard safety features: Mazda offers a host of standard safety features, including blind-spot monitoring, rear cross-traffic alert, and a rearview camera, making it one of the safest suvs on the market.
Worst Years For The Mazda Cx-9
The mazda cx-9 is a mid-size suv created for families. It has a sporty look, spacious interior, and advanced technological features making it a popular choice among buyers. However, just like any other car model, there have been a few bumps on the way for the mazda cx-9.
In this post, we will focus on the worst years for the mazda cx-9 and what made them the least desirable models in the market.
What Makes A “Worst” Year For The Mazda Cx-9
The worst years for mazda cx-9 are those where owners experience significant issues with the vehicle’s road performance and safety features. Several factors can cause a year to receive a poor rating, including:
- Recalls: Cars with several recalls are often considered bad models since they pose a safety risk to drivers and passengers. Mazda cx-9 had a few recalls on various parts, such as faulty front passenger airbags, expensive seat adjusters, and faulty powertrain systems.
- Engine problems: A car with engine issues is a recipe for disaster, and this is no exception for mazda cx-9. The suv had widespread problems starting with its turbocharged 2.5-liter 4-cylinder engine, which displayed signs of premature wear and was prone to failure. This problem was prevalent in the 2016 and 2017 model years.
- Poor safety ratings: Car safety is paramount, and any car model that fails to meet the required safety standards is not suitable for buyers. The 2017 and 2018 mazda cx-9 models received a poor rating from the national highway traffic safety administration (nhtsa) for their lack of advanced safety systems.
Detailed Analysis Of Mazda Cx-9’S Worst Years
The following are the details of mazda cx-9’s worst years:
- 2016: The 2016 model year of mazda cx-9 experienced significant reliability issues due to its new turbocharged engine, which also suffered from premature wear and tear.
- 2017: Mazda cx-9 2017 model year had transmission issues, such as hard shifting and jumping. Additionally, its engine had problems that led to multiple recalls and visits to the dealership.
- 2018: The 2018 mazda cx-9 model year experienced brake problems, which could cause the vehicle to lose control and crash. The car also received poor safety ratings from nhtsa, mainly due to its lack of advanced safety features.
- 2020: Although not many issues have arisen thus far, the 2020 mazda cx-9 is a recent model that has a subpar infotainment system, particularly in its lower-tier trims.
Road Performance And Safety Ratings Of The Flops
The flops or the mazda cx-9’s worst performing years, received poor road performance and safety ratings.
- 2016: This model year’s cx-9 suffered from poor acceleration, steering response, and a bouncy suspension. The car also had engine problems and a lack of advanced safety features, contributing to its poor safety rating.
- 2017: The 2017 cx-9 had transmission issues and premature engine wear, making it an unreliable car. Its lack of advanced safety features led to a poor safety rating as well.
- 2018: The 2018 model year had brake problems, posing a safety risk to drivers and passengers.
- 2020: The 2020 cx-9 received good safety ratings but exhibited subpar handling, particularly in its lower-tier trims. Its infotainment system also lacked user-friendliness.
Mazda cx-9 is an impressive car with high safety ratings and a technologically advanced interior. However, specific model years such as the 2016, 2017, and 2018 have significant issues affecting road performance and safety ratings. Understanding the factors that contribute to a bad model is crucial when purchasing a mazda cx-9.
Factors That Determine The Performance Of The Mazda Cx-9
Critical Factors That Impact The Performance
The performance of the mazda cx-9 is a result of several factors. Here are the critical ones that can impact the car’s performance:
- Engine: The engine is a core component of any car that significantly impacts performance. The mazda cx-9 comes with a 2.5-liter turbocharged engine that produces 250 horsepower and 320 lb-ft of torque. This means you get great acceleration and a smooth ride.
- Transmission: The six-speed automatic transmission of the cx-9 works great in combination with the engine, providing smooth and responsive gear changes.
- Drivetrain: The mazda cx-9 has two drivetrain options, front-wheel-drive (fwd), and all-wheel-drive (awd). Choosing all-wheel drive can give you more grip, improving handling and traction.
- Weight: The cx-9 is a spacious suv, but that comes at a cost. It’s relatively heavy compared to its rivals, which means that it isn’t as fuel-efficient as other suvs of its size.
Technical And Design Updates That Have Affected The Mazda Cx-9’S Performance
Many updates were done to the mazda cx-9 over the years to improve its performance. Here are some updates that have positively impacted performance:
- G-vectoring control: Mazda introduced this feature in 2017, which improves handling and stability when turning corners.
- Retuned suspension: In 2019, mazda retuned the cx-9’s suspension to give it a smoother ride over rough roads. The car’s handling also improved, making maneuvering through tight corners easier.
- Upgraded engine: In 2021, mazda upgraded the cx-9’s engine to produce more horsepower and torque. This upgrade allowed the suv to get from 0-60 mph in 7.1 seconds, making it one of the quickest suvs in its class.
Consumer Reports Around Performance Over The Years
According to consumer reports, the mazda cx-9 has had mixed reviews over the years. Some years the car performed well, while others it did not. Here is a breakdown of how the cx-9 performed over the years:
- 2016: The cx-9 ranked low in reliability, scoring only 2 out of 5. However, the car’s overall performance ranked average.
- 2017: The introduction of g-vectoring control improved the cx-9’s rating in handling, making it one of the best in its class.
- 2018: The cx-9’s rating in reliability slightly improved, but the car’s overall score dropped to an average rating due to the car’s brakes and fuel economy.
- 2019: The cx-9’s performance improved significantly in this year, scoring higher in reliability, performance, and handling.
- 2020: The cx-9 remained consistently reliable with good overall performance, but its fuel economy was still a downside.
- 2021: The upgraded engine improved the cx-9’s rating in acceleration, but fuel economy remained the same, making it one of the least fuel-efficient suvs in its class.
Overall the mazda cx-9 has had some fantastic years when it comes to performance, but it has also had a few not-so-good years. However, the car’s recent upgrades make it a top pick for those looking for a spacious suv with a comfortable ride.
Conclusion: Best Practices For Owning A Mazda Cx-9
When it comes to the mazda cx-9, there have been some great years and some not-so-great years. However, if you’re considering buying one or already own one, there are some best practices you should follow to ensure you get the most out of your vehicle.
In this section, we’ll go over some tips for maintaining and maximizing performance, recommendations to avoid future potential flops, and final thoughts on the best and worst years for the mazda cx-9.
Tips For Maintaining And Maximizing The Performance Of Your Mazda Cx-9
To keep your mazda cx-9 running in peak condition, follow these tips:
- Regularly change oil and filters: Changing the oil and filters on a regular basis is important to keep your mazda cx-9 performing at its best while also preventing costly engine damage.
- Use high-quality gasoline and oil: Higher quality gasoline and oil will not only keep your engine running smoothly but also help it last longer.
- Check and maintain tire pressure: Properly inflated tires will not only improve fuel efficiency but also improve handling and safety.
- Keep up with maintenance schedules: Following manufacturer-recommended maintenance schedules will help avoid potential problems and prolong the life of your vehicle.
- Drive gently: Accelerating and braking harshly can put extra strain on your vehicle, leading to wear and tear.
Recommendations On How To Avoid Potential Flops In Future Mazda Cx-9 Releases
To avoid potential issues in future mazda cx-9 releases, follow these recommendations:
- Read reviews and stay informed: Keep up to date on new models and their reviews to avoid issues that may arise.
- Test drive before buying: Make sure to test drive any new model before buying to ensure it meets your expectations.
- Research potential problems: Check for potential issues with new models and make sure to address them before they become more significant.
- Stay informed about any recalls: Stay informed of any recalls for your vehicle and address them promptly.
Final Thoughts On The Best And Worst Years For The Mazda Cx-9
When it comes to the mazda cx-9, some years stand out as the best and some as the worst. Here are our final thoughts:
- Best years: (2016-2021) the 2016 and newer models received a redesign, which improved performance, fuel efficiency, and technology.
- Worst years: (2007-2015) the earlier models suffered from poor fuel economy and underpowered engines, leading to less-than-stellar performance.
The mazda cx-9 is a great vehicle, but, like any car, it requires proper maintenance to keep it running at its best. Following our maintenance tips and recommendations will help you avoid potential issues and get the most out of your vehicle.
And if you’re shopping for a cx-9, stick to the newer models to get the best performance and features.
Frequently Asked Questions Of Best And Worst Years For The Mazda Cx-9
What Is The Mazda Cx-9’S Best Year?
The best year for the mazda cx-9 is 2021. It has an elegant design and advanced features.
What Is The Worst Year For Mazda Cx-9?
The worst year for mazda cx-9 is 2016. It has the highest number of reliability complaints.
Are Mazda Cx-9’S Known For Their Reliability?
Mazda cx-9 is rated above average for reliability. It is considered one of the most reliable suvs in the market.
Is The Fuel Economy Of Mazda Cx-9 Good?
The fuel economy of mazda cx-9 is excellent; it has a combined 23 mpg.
Does The Mazda Cx-9 Have A Good Resale Value?
Mazda cx-9 has a good resale value; it retains up to 45% of its value after five years.
How Many Passengers Can Mazda Cx-9 Hold?
Mazda cx-9 can hold seven passengers comfortably. It is spacious with ample legroom.
Does Mazda Cx-9 Have Advanced Safety Technology?
Mazda cx-9 has advanced safety technology, including lane departure warning, auto emergency braking, and adaptive cruise control.
After digging through data, reviews, and expert opinions, we can finally draw a conclusion about the best and worst years for the mazda cx-9. It’s clear that the 2012 and 2013 models should be avoided due to numerous issues with their engines and transmissions, as well as issues with the air conditioning and electronics systems.
On the other hand, the 2018 and 2019 cx-9 models received high praise for their excellent performance, updated interior features, and enhanced safety features. However, it’s important to note that the mazda cx-9 has consistently been a reliable and popular choice for families since its launch back in 2007.
Ultimately, when considering purchasing a mazda cx-9, it’s crucial to research and weigh the pros and cons of each specific model year to ensure a successful investment in a vehicle that will suit your needs and preferences.