The best years for the ford expedition are 2018 and 2019, while the worst year is 2003. The 2018 and 2019 models come with advanced safety features and a comfortable spacious interior, making them great for families.
On the other hand, the 2003 model had frequent mechanical issues and numerous recalls, leading to a poor reliability rating. If you’re considering a ford expedition, it’s important to choose the right year based on your needs and budget. Ford expedition is a full-size suv that has been popular with families since its release in 1997.
It’s known for its spacious interior, powerful engine, and off-road capabilities. However, not all model years are created equal, and some are better than others. In this article, we’ll explore the best and worst years for the ford expedition based on factors such as reliability, safety, performance, and features. Whether you’re looking for a new or used ford expedition, this guide will help you make an informed decision.
Best Years For The Ford Expedition
The ford expedition has been a favorite among suv lovers since its launch in 1997. The car comes with spacious seating, a powerful engine, and significant towing capacity. However, some model years have outperformed others, so it’s essential to know which ones to look out for when shopping for a used or new ford expedition.
In this section, we’ll go over the best years for the ford expedition, factors to consider when selecting the best year, and compare the top-performing years to help simplify your selection process.
Factors To Consider When Choosing The Best Year For The Expedition
When shopping for your ford expedition, some crucial factors come into play that you must consider to choose the right year. Some of these primary considerations include:
- Desired features: Different models may have additional features that others don’t have, such as a rear-seat entertainment system, blind-spot monitoring, or other advanced safety features like collision warnings and automated emergency braking.
- Budget: You want to make sure that you get the best for the price that you can afford.
- Fuel economy: As the cost of gasoline rises frequently, it helps to choose a vehicle with a better mpg rating.
- Reliability: The expedition has had some reliability issues in the past – so ensure you select a year that has a good track record for reliability.
- Performance: While the ford expedition has always offered excellent performance, there are years where performance has been more exceptional than others.
Comparison Of The Top-Performing Years For The Expedition
After carefully considering the above factors, we recommend the following years as the best for the ford expedition:
- 2019: The 2019 ford expedition ranks at the top of the list due to its luxurious seats, lots of cargo space, agile handling, and excellent performance from the v6 engine.
- 2018: This model features an elegant cabin, an easy-to-use infotainment system, and excellent gas mileage.
- 2017: This model features the sync3 infotainment system, apple carplay, android auto, and self-parking.
- 2014: The 2014 ford expedition model comes with a cavernous interior, a powerful engine, and an excellent tow rating.
- 2013: The 2013 model comes with an exceptional reliability rating and a towing capacity of up to 9,200 pounds.
Top Recommended Year(S) For Those Looking To Purchase A Used Or New Ford Expedition
After weighing all the critical factors that go into picking the best year for the ford expedition and analyzing the top-performing years, we recommend the 2019 and 2018 models. They have excellent performance and fuel economy, are more comfortable, and have advanced technology features like infotainment systems, entertainment, and safety systems.
The 2017, 2014, and 2013 models are also good options if you are looking for alternatives. However, ensure you do thorough research and test-driving before making your final decision.
Choosing the best year for the ford expedition can be challenging with the car’s history of somewhat inconsistent performance. However, by carefully considering the factors mentioned above, you can confidently pick the perfect model year that matches your desired features, budget, performance level, and desired fuel economy.
Worst Years For The Ford Expedition
The ford expedition is a popular full-size suv known for its power, versatility, and spacious interior. However, not all years of the expedition have been created equal, with some performing poorly in terms of reliability, safety, and overall quality. We will explore the worst years for the ford expedition and provide recommendations on how to avoid them.
Factors To Consider When Looking For The Worst Years Of The Expedition
Several factors contribute to the poor performance of the ford expedition during certain years. Some of these factors include:
- Recalls: The expedition has had a significant number of recalls over the years, with some years having more than others.
- Transmission issues: The transmission in the expedition is known to be problematic, particularly the automatic transmission.
- Engine problems: Like many suvs, the expedition has had its fair share of engine issues, with some years being worse than others.
- Safety concerns: Certain models of the expedition have been known to have safety concerns due to design flaws or defects.
Comparison Of The Poorly Performing Years For The Expedition
Based on the factors outlined above, the following years are considered some of the worst performing for the ford expedition:
- 2003: This year saw many recalls, particularly for issues with the rear suspension and transmission.
- 2004: The 2004 expedition was plagued with transmission problems, leading to significant reliability issues for owners.
- 2005: The 2005 model year had numerous recalls, including a significant one for a fuel tank defect that could cause a fire.
- 2006: Known for its issues with the engine, the 2006 expedition was also subject to several recalls, including one for a faulty windshield wiper motor.
Recommendations For Avoiding The Worst Performing Year(S)
When shopping for a ford expedition, it’s important to do your research and know which years to avoid. Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Consider purchasing a more recent model year: While the older expeditions may be more affordable, it’s worth investing in a newer model year to avoid some of the common issues.
- Check for recalls: Before purchasing a used expedition, check to see if there have been any recalls, particularly for the specific year and model you are considering.
- Get a pre-purchase inspection: This can help identify any potential issues before you invest in the vehicle and could potentially save you from costly repairs down the road.
Overall, while the ford expedition is a great suv, certain years have been known to perform poorly. By being aware of the factors that contribute to poor performance and doing your due diligence, you can avoid the worst performing years of the expedition and enjoy all the benefits of this popular vehicle.
Maintenance And Repairs For The Ford Expedition
Regular Maintenance Requirements For All Years Of The Expedition
Taking care of your ford expedition is crucial to ensuring its longevity and performance. Here are the regular maintenance requirements that are important for all years of the ford expedition:
- Change the engine oil and filter every 5,000 miles to keep the engine running smoothly.
- Replace the coolant every 100,000 miles to avoid overheating issues.
- Rotate the tires every 7,500 miles to extend their lifespan and ensure even wear.
- Inspect the brake pads and replace them if necessary to ensure your brakes are functioning correctly.
- Check and replace the air filter every 15,000-30,000 miles to keep the engine breathing correctly.
- Change the transmission fluid and filter every 60,000-100,000 miles to maintain the transmission’s smooth operation.
- Inspect and replace the serpentine belt every 100,000 miles to avoid breakdowns.
Repairs And Service Needs That Vary Depending On The Year Of The Expedition
The ford expedition has undergone multiple changes over the years, resulting in various compatibility issues and maintenance needs. Here are some of the repairs and service needs that vary depending on the year of the ford expedition:
- 2007-2014 ford expeditions may experience issues with the fuel pump control module, causing the engine to stall or not start.
- 2018 ford expeditions may experience issues with the rear suspension, resulting in a bouncy or rough ride.
- Steering issues have been reported in 2011-2016 ford expeditions, leading to difficulty steering and unpredictable handling.
- Older ford expeditions may experience power window issues, requiring the replacement of the entire window regulator assembly.
Cost Of Maintenance And Repairs For The Expedition
Maintaining and repairing a ford expedition can be costly, depending on the year of the car and the extent of the repair. Here are some average costs for maintenance and repairs for the ford expedition:
- Oil change: $50-$100
- Coolant replacement: $100-$150
- Tire rotation: $20-$50
- Brake pad replacement: $200-$400
- Air filter replacement: $50-$100
- Transmission fluid and filter change: $200-$500
- Serpentine belt replacement: $100-$200
- Fuel pump control module replacement: $500-$800
- Rear suspension repair: $500-$1,500
- Power window regulator replacement: $200-$500
Remember, regular maintenance can prevent costly repairs in the long run. Stick to the regular maintenance requirements and keep your ford expedition running smoothly for years to come.
Aftermarket Upgrades And Modifications For The Ford Expedition
The ford expedition has been a popular full-size suv since its introduction in 1997. Some years have been more reliable than others, making it important for potential buyers to do their research. Aftermarket upgrades and modifications, however, can also make a significant difference in the performance and features of the vehicle.
Let’s take a closer look at the best and worst years for the ford expedition and some popular aftermarket upgrades for enhancing its performance and features.
Popular Upgrades For Enhancing Performance And Features Of The Expedition
Here are some of the most popular aftermarket upgrades that are commonly used to enhance the performance and features of the ford expedition:
- Custom exhaust system: Improves performance and sound quality.
- Cold air intake system: Increases horsepower and fuel efficiency.
- Leveling/ lift kit: Gives extra clearance, better off-road capability.
- Performance brake kit: Offers better stopping power.
- Custom wheels and tires: Enhances the aesthetics and off-road capabilities.
Discussion Of The Costs And Benefits Of Aftermarket Upgrades
Before purchasing any aftermarket upgrades for the expedition, it is crucial to evaluate the costs and benefits accurately. Here are some things to keep in mind:
- Most of the upgrades can be expensive and may void the warranty.
- Some upgrades may require the installation of additional parts to work correctly.
- However, the benefits of these upgrades can be worth the investment. They will enhance the performance and features of the vehicle as well as improve the overall driving experience.
Warnings For Certain Modifications That Could Negatively Impact The Expedition’S Performance Or Resale Value
It’s essential to be cautious when it comes to modifications that could negatively impact the expedition’s performance or resale value. Here are some of the modifications you may want to avoid:
- Overly aggressive lift kits that will negatively impact drivability and handling.
- Installing oversized tires and wheels, which can cause additional stress on the engine and other parts.
- Using low-quality aftermarket parts, which can cause damage to the engine and other parts.
Upgrading your ford expedition can enhance its performance, style, and off-road capabilities. However, it’s essential to do thorough research and consult an expert before making any significant modifications. Choose upgrades that align with your goals and budget, and be mindful of the potential downsides of each upgrade.
Frequently Asked Questions For Best & Worst Years For The Ford Expedition
What Are The Best Years For The Ford Expedition?
The best years for the ford expedition are 2018, 2019, and 2020. These years feature excellent features, a spacious interior with plenty of cargo space, and strong towing capacity.
What Are The Worst Years For The Ford Expedition?
The worst years for the ford expedition are 2007, 2008, and 2010. These years featured transmission problems, issues with the rear suspension, and problems with the fuel system.
Is The Ford Expedition A Reliable Suv?
Yes, the ford expedition is known for its reliability. With regular maintenance and care, the vehicle can last for many years. Many drivers praise the vehicle’s durability and performance.
What Is The Fuel Economy Of The Ford Expedition?
The fuel economy of the ford expedition varies depending on the year and model. For instance, the 2020 expedition gets an average of 17-21 mpg in the city, and 22-24 mpg on the highway.
Can The Ford Expedition Tow A Boat Or Trailer?
Yes, the ford expedition is capable of towing heavy boats or trailers thanks to its powerful engine and towing capacity. The vehicle can tow up to 9,300 pounds when properly equipped.
What Safety Features Does The Ford Expedition Have?
The ford expedition features several safety features such as adaptive cruise control, blind-spot monitoring, lane departure warning, and automatic emergency braking. Additionally, it’s made with high-strength steel and advanced airbags for passenger protection.
How Much Does The Ford Expedition Cost?
The price of the ford expedition varies depending on the model year and trim level. The starting price for a new 2021 ford expedition is around $52,000, but the price can go up to $80,000 depending on the features and specifications.
Used models can cost anywhere from $20,000 to $60,000.
As a reliable and spacious full-size suv, the ford expedition has come a long way since its debut in 1997. We have analyzed each model year and found some interesting results. Based on data and customer reviews, it appears that the 2018 model stands out as the best year for the ford expedition due to its significant redesign, great safety features, and overall performance.
However, the 2008 and 2010 models did not receive high ratings from customers, primarily due to recurring mechanical issues. Despite these concerns, the ford expedition continues to be a great investment for anyone looking for a reliable and robust suv.
As with any vehicle, regular maintenance and upkeep can help prolong its lifespan. As you decide on which year and model of the ford expedition to purchase, be sure to consider the pros and cons carefully.